Friday, August 9, 2013

concerts: the experience beyond the music

With my last post, I realized something that should have been posted about already: the fact that many of my closest friends are from shows I have attended in the past two years.

There is something intimate about attending the show of a smaller, more unknown band. Not only do you get the chance to be up close and personal with the band during the show, but you also get to know a crowd of people who also love the band. I typically attend shows in Saint Louis and Chicago, and have found a core of girls who enjoy most of the same bands that I do. I also credit Tumblr for this, because through different tags and blogs I have gotten to meet, both online and in person, some of the most phenomenal human beings. These girls are there for me when I need a pick-me-up or someone to meet up with at a show if I go alone.

Having these "concert friends" make going to a show something to look forward to because not only do I get to see some of my favorite bands, but I get to see some of my friends that I sometimes haven't seen in months. We communicate frequently through various social media outlets, but that moment when we finally reunite after an extended period of time is something I wouldn't trade for the world. Sure, getting to see big arena shows and distinguished artists is quite an experience, but if you offered me the choice to see Beyonce or The Summer Set, I would take the TSS tickets in a heartbeat. Why? Because I know waiting for me in that venue would not only be a hardworking, on the rise band, but some girls that I call family would be anxiously awaiting a night of dancing, laughing, and having the times of our lives.

1 comment: